Moving to a new home can be a wonderful adventure. It’s a great way to start a new chapter in your life, to meet new people and have new experiences. However, before this new chapter actually starts, you have to take care of the actual moving process, which can be cumbersome and strenuous, especially if you have kids. But don’t worry, we have a few tips that will help you move with minimum effort, help you start your new life on the right foot.
- Tell your children, and yourself that this will be a great experience. Leaving your home behind can be scary, but it is all about perspective. If you can convince yourself and your family that this move will only bring you benefits, you will find yourselves eagerly waiting for the big move.
- Take this opportunity to organize your life. The things that surround represent your whole life. If you are surrounded by clutter and old things, your life will also feel exhausting. Since you will already have to go through all of your things when packing, why not take this moment to organize your life a little. Let go of all the things that you no longer need. If you haven’t used them for a while, it is unlikely that you will find a need for them in the future.
- Pack like a pro! Start by gathering all the boxes, the bags and the newspapers you can find. Moreover, don’t underestimate the power of labels, as they will be your biggest asset in the overall moving process. While filling boxes, make a list with all the items that you are putting in, and stick the list on the box.
- Hire movers! We know that this whole moving process is probably going to be expensive, but trust us, you should not skimp when it comes to hiring a moving company. Do a little research online and search for cross country movers in your area. If you live in a small town, you probably won’t have a lot of company’s to choose from, but if you live in a big city, you will have plenty of options. For example, there are dozens of Cross country movers NYC companies to choose from, and you would better read some online reviews to make sure that you are choosing a reputable company. Hiring movers is a great way to make sure that all your belongings will arrive at your new place safely.
- Don’t look back! We are sure that there are a lot of memories that tie you to your current home, but trust us, no good can come from pouring over the past. You will make new memories in your new home and meet new people, and you can always talk on the phone or even visit your old friends. If you have kids, they will probably be more upset than you about leaving their friends behind. Try to be supportive, but don’t worry too much about it. Kids cake new friends a lot easier than adults do.
- Don’t entrust the movers with your valuables. No matter how reputable a company is, it is always better to be safe and sorry. So, when it comes to money, jewelry, and important documents, you are better off transporting those things yourself.
- Don’t neglect your fragile belongings. Ideally, you should discuss this matter with the movers. Some companies don’t provide any warranty for your fragile belongings, if they don’t pack them themselves.
- Don’t pack flammable items or gasoline powered equipment. Drain the fuel from all gasoline power equipment before packing them, and make sure not to pack any flammable items.